Self tests auditions for Australian actors are on the rise. Times have certainly changed over the last 10 years. An actor no longer needs to travel to America to do a pilot season stretch. Most top Australian agents receive all the pilot briefs from American casting agents. This gives Australian actors the chance to audition for exciting TV shows and films made in the US on a more frequent basis.
At Brave Studios we conduct a large number of American pilot self test auditions. Once we have seen an actor in our studio the self test is sent off within moments to the client.
The benefits of filming a self test audition at Brave Studios for the actor are:
- You are in a professional studio environment which can help to contribute to a better performance.
- You have a full hour allocated to perfect your scene (if needed) which means that you have time to warm-up as opposed to being thrown into a room with a casting director for a 15 minute audition.
- You get to work the scene with a professional actor before putting it down on camera, you are also provided with feedback from actors with extensive experience in acting coaching for film and television.
- We can provide both male and female readers for your audition. Our readers are trained in American Accent.
- You leave the audition having recorded a polished performance.
- Your self-test is professionally edited by our in-house editing team.
- Both your and your agent/ the client have access to an electronic copy of the audition.
- We can also provide private tuition for those who would like to work their scene/character prior to conducting a self test. $85 per hour.
We conduct self test auditions in our professional in-house studio in Footscray, Melbourne. Since opening our doors in 2012 we have had many actors come in to self test for incredible TV and film opportunities. Many of those actors have won or come close to winning winning the roles or coming very close. We look forward to seeing you soon with your self test.
Brave Studios self test services come highly recommended from industry professionals including Australia’s top casting directors and agents. We often conduct castings for casting agencies from our studios.
If you are looking for the best self test audition services in Melbourne we welcome you to Brave Studios.
Self-test fee $60 per hour. Contact us if you have multiple scenes and feel you may require longer.
Booking your Self Test audition:
Call us 0n 9687 6220 to book in a time.
We will allocate an hour to complete the test, (you may not need that long). Bookings are available between 10am – 4pm on weekdays and on some Saturdays.
Once your time is confirmed, email us a copy of the scenes you will be working so that our readers can familiarise themselves with the lines prior to the test taking place. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advice on how to prepare for your self test audition:
Make sure that you know your lines as well as possible.
Come dressed appropriately for your role. Consider the era, location, socio-economic status of the role you are playing.
Advice on Auditioning with an American Accent:
Self test auditions are being booked in daily at Brave Studios for US pilots. Actors are expected to self test with a neutral American accent and for it to be flawless. We find that many actors are nervous to act out a scene with an American Accent as they feel they can’t pull it off.
Troy Mackinder is one of Australia’s, if not the world’s, best American Accent coach for the Aussie actor. He has a technique that Australian actors can understand and manipulate to transform their Aussie accent into the American one. The best thing about Troys technique is he takes you out of the mindset to play an American character and rather play yourself with an American Accent. This allows the actor to focus on the scene and character rather than worrying about sounding American in the scene. We hear a lot of actors say that the feel the accent gets in the way of their organic performance. After an American Accent Course intensive with Troy at Brave Studios, Actors feel that their performance comes first again and the accent just follows subconsciously. Don’t let your American accent get in the way of your work…do the hard work and learn the American accent properly today!